Peekaboo Scarves by Emma Hart, Former Mini Maestros Head of Teaching
We are delighted to announce that Peek-a-boo scarves will be a standard part of student equipment for babies and toddlers in 2017.
Peekaboo is possibly the ‘oldest’, and most universal game we play with our babies. The instinct to hide our eyes and reappear with a gentle ‘boo’ seems almost innate, and with good reason, the developmental benefits are extensive!
The primary skill we are building whenever we play peekaboo, is confidence. Babies learn to trust that when we disappear briefly, we indeed return, and when we do, it is fun and joyful. This strengthens the bond and prepares children with coping strategies for the anxieties of separation, which may occur around the 12 month mark.
Furthermore, the anticipation of predicting the ‘Boo’, and successfully pulling the scarf off with correct timing, is a skill known as ‘phrasing’ in music. A phrase is like a musical sentence with ‘commas’ or moments for a ‘breath’ before beginning the next sentence. The ‘Boo’ usually marks this moment. We have observed that babies as young as 6 months are able to identify and predict the end of a phrase, and they show us by independently pulling their scarf off at the right time. This activity alone develops listening, confidence, independence, language structure and communication.
The benefits of having your own scarf to practise with at home means that you will have a prop that moves from your home environment to the classroom, helping to make it quickly feel like a safe and familiar space.
Because the scarves go over the face and come in contact with eyes, mouth and nose, we are promoting a more hygienic environment by providing each child with their own scarf for personal use. The scarves can be washed in a gentle cycle to ensure they remain in good, clean condition for the long term.
We've also introduced a Mini Maestros bag for all age groups, as an organisational aid for your child's Mini Maestros props and books. This will help to ensure you have your necessary equipment for each class.
We know the bag and scarf will be wonderful additions to your Mini Maestros collection, and enjoyed for years to come.
- Meet the Franchisees - Jan Close - Owner/Operator of our Kingston Franchise
- Meet The Franchisees - Julia Kaplan - Owner/Operator of our Dingley/Hampton/Sandringham Franchise
- Meet the Franchisees - Kate Sadler Our Kew/Balwyn Franchisee
- Meet the Franchisees - Michelle Maglitto our Altona/Williamstown/Hoppers Crossing Franchise
- Meet The Franchisees - Lisa Marcolin Owner/Operator of Doncaster
- Meet The Franchisees - David Morgan owner/operator of Hornsby/North Epping
- Meet The Franchisees - Louise Reeder owner/operator of the Glen Waverley Franchise
- Meet the Franchisees - Kate Howard owner/operator of the Frankston/Langwarrin franchise
- Meet Our Franchisee - Chantelle Alvaro owner/operator of Montmorency/Greensborough/Eltham
- Meet Our Franchisees - Alison Cusack and Linda Repic co-owners/operators of Craigieburn & Mickleham.
- Mini Maestros At Home Educational Activities e-Pack
- Zoom Zoom Zoom With Bumblebee - By Melissa Eilers
- 7 Things to Keep your Toddler Occupied When they Have to be Quiet - By Kate Phillips, Rowville Teacher
- Contemplating During COVID - By Kate Sadler Mini Maestros Kew/Balwyn
- How Music is Like the Clothes We Wear - By Pip Hargrave
- Inter-Generational Music Making = Strengthening Friendships Through Songs and Dance by Jo Irwin, Macedon Ranges Franchisee.
- Diving Deeper - Music from Around the World - Janet Collins
- Why Have Concerts? - By Maddy Kelly, Mini Maestros Head of Teaching
- Diving Deeper - Music and Mood Enhancement
- Diving Deeper - Music and Vocabulary By Kitty Skeen - Former Mini Maestros Bendigo Franchisee
- Diving Deeper - Lullaby and good night - hopefully... By Judy O'Neill
- Kodály, Orff, Dalcroze and Suzuki - By Jo Irwin - Mini Maestros Sunbury and Macedon Ranges Franchisee
- Mini Maestros Customer App
- Diving Deeper - Connection by Maddy Kelly - Mini Maestros' Head of Teaching
- Diving Deeper - Imagination. By Caroline Paterson - Former Wembley/Mount Hawthorn/North Perth Franchisee
- Diving Deeper - Creativity by Kitty Skeen - Former Mini Maestros Bendigo Franchisee
- Interview with Dr Anita Collins – By Esther Bertram
- Onlooker Learners - By Emma Hart, Former Mini Maestros Head Of Teaching
- Meet The Team - Ally Hvalica
- Music and Intellectual Development - By Alison Cusack & Linda Repic
- Who is your child's best teacher? Part 1 of 2 By Emma Hart - Former Mini Maestros Head of Teaching
- Who is your child's best teacher? Part 2 of 2 By Emma Hart - Former Mini Maestros Head of Teaching
- Diving Deeper - Physical Skills - By Taryn Wright
- Inter-generational music making is building healthy communities
- Writing Music Down - by 3MBS
- Diving Deeper - Social Skills by Kate Rice
- The Importance of Repetition
- Diving Deeper - Learning to listen by Robyn Stewardson, former Coburg/Fawkner/Reservoir Franchisee
- Meeting The Head Office Team - Esther Bertram - Marketing and Franchise Development Manager
- Meet the Team - Jo Irwin
- Diving Deeper - Imagination and Music By Lisa Marcolin
- Speech Development - Stories from Parents by Annette L. Graham
- Diving Deeper - The Power of Song by Kitty Skeen - Former Mini Maestros Bendigo Franchisee - Part 1 of 2
- Diving Deeper - The Power of Song by Kitty Skeen - Former Mini Maestros Bendigo Franchisee - Part 2 of 2
- Meeting the Head Office Team - Maddy Kelly
- Meeting The Head Office Team - Bruce Fethers - Co-owner & Managing Director
- Diving Deeper - Dance - by Cathy Edgar
- The Senses - By Robyn Grose. - Former Preston/Northcote/Ivanhoe/Rosanna/Canterbury/Box Hill Franchisee
- Meeting The Head Office Team - Jennifer Smith - Co-owner & Music Director
- The Power of Music in Expressing Children's Emotions by Chantelle Alvaro
- Play - By Kate Howard
- Meeting The Head Office Team - Introducing Stephanie Migliore
- Relationships - By Ally Hvalica
- Developmental Milestones - By MaryRose Harrison - Former Franchisee
- Stories From Parents/Grandparents - Bobbie Carroll
- Meeting The Head Office Team - Introducing Monika Szilagyi
- JOY by Tiff Ikin
- Music Education
- All Shapes of the World
- Music Forever
- Children of Tomorrow: Thoughts On Mindful Music Education in the Early Childhood Space
- Nurturing the Love of Music
- Music. Feel it all over.
- Mini Maestros - It's Not Just About The Children.
- The Creative Life
- 5 Simple Ways to Nurture Creativity in Our Children
- Discovering the Joy of Music
- Five Alternative Ways to Say "Well Done!"
- "Good morning Bumblebee"
- A Mini Maestros Moment
- The exchange between teacher and child
- The joy of being a new mum, and the importance of connection learning and play
- BABIES CLASSES - a very special and important time for you and your child.
- 5 Ways To Jam With Your Child At Home
- Was Your First Mini Maestros Class What You Expected?
- Learning an Instrument